Sports Fan...a day in the life of an MUA!


2010 started with phone calls from some production friends from Sloan Productions and Legacy Health Services. They were both putting together large shoots starring famous sports figures. In the past 25 years I have applied makeup on many big named sports stars like Michael Jordan, Jack Snow, The Rock and Jesse Ventura, to name just a few.

This time around, I would be working with pro golfer, Phil Mickelson, UFC Fighter, Nate "Rock" Quarry and retired NBA player, Bill Walton. I would be shooting two commercials - one for Callaway's Diablo Driver to be aired during CBS Sports' pre-game show prior to the Super Bowl and for NuVasive Creative Spine Technology.

I love working with sports stars because they understand the process of having to have makeup applied for on-camera appearances, but they are not as "fussy" as professional actors! The biggest challenge working with the gentlemen listed above was the fact that Bill Walton was 6 feet 11 inches tall and that required him to sit down in order for me to touch him up between takes! I am tall, but I am not that tall!!!

I also learned that I am very sports-challenged! I know very little about the games of football, wrestling, basketball, golf, etc. Makes it difficult to have a conversation and relate to the other "men" on the crew. No matter, I plan on sticking with knowing everything about lip gloss, powder, mascara and eye shadow!

On both of the HD shoots I turned to several products that I find easy to use on men who are not used to wearing makeup. Prepping the skin with Jan Marini's Age Intervention Prime helps matte the skin and makes for blending foundation easier.



Eve Pearl's Salmon Concealer Trio is used to cover dark circles and age spots and Eve Pearl's Anti-Shine helps to keep shine under control preventing the need for frequent touch ups under hot lighting.






NARS Powder Foundations are highly pigmented and I find that men prefer me to use powder instead of liquid or cream foundation. NARS' products are buildable and even out all skin tones. Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 repaired cracked, dry lips.




I am attaching a few behind-the-scenes photos and a video and I am honored to add these gentlemen to my resume!


Nate "Rock" Quarry, Melissa and Bill Walton - on the NuVasive set - January 2010



Phil Mickelson on set for Callaway's Diablo Driver - CBS Sports & Sloan Productions - February 2010




Bookmark and Share